TKO Tinting
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rise of the Phoenix VN SS

Rise of the Phoenix VN SS

I've always had a really open mind with cars, whether they be jap/aussie/euro or turbo 4's/6's/8's and have dabbled in a bit of everything.. I just like cars and the diversity!
    My last toy was a built Evo6 which I sadly needed to move on for some bricks & mortar. I miss that thing even after a few near death experiences on track

Anyhow, I wanted something that I could rebuild over a few years, eventually take the kids out for coffee & cars etc.. and found a terrible red VN SS which I really shouldn't have bought, but pulled the trigger for a project..

1990 VN SS
    304 5L V8 of fury
    Power Pack option (Windows, Cruise, Mirrors etc)
    Auto

The thing ran OK but was pretty rough. Interior buggered, everything shagged.. I knew I was in for a ground up build.

With some helping hands, we stripped the entire thing.

And sent it off to Owen @ Meltham Motors in Perth for a full inside and out repsray in the original Phoenix Metallic Red.

We're all used to 30 year old clapped out VN's with bad factory quality paint so this is quite refreshing!

Over the moon with how itís turned out and canít thank the team at Meltham Motors enough who went above and beyond with sourcing trim peices, brackets, windows, lights etc.

Once it got home I began repainting all the interior trim in the original Holden 16i grey color, and replacing the cracked dashpad with a perfect one. I wouldnít recommend removing and replacing a dashÖ nightmare!

Got some better door trims, but still repainted using Holden 16i grey vinyl dye, and found some great SS seats.

Did a little sound deadening work while fitting basic stereo for some Yothu Yindi

Getting thereÖ

The power windows are giving me a bit of grief, so until I sort those we pulled the rear axle out and sent it away to fit a helical style Torque-Lock Limited Slip Diff together with some 3.46 ratio gears (coming from 3.08) for some added acceleration around town.

The Torqueline Torque-Lock helical LSD:

Put in some new FE2 height King Springs and Monroe GT Gas shocks, new bushes, and painted all components in epoxy black

Removed the K frame, fitted new bushes and repainted in subframe black. Then started assembling the brake lines, wiring etc

Thatís where Iím at so far!

Still to do:
    _When it's back home, repaint the axle black, fit all new rear bushes, and refit
    _Fit my VT brake booster conversion and hub adapters for the VT twin piston front brakes, braided lines, with RDA slotted rotors
    _Strip the 5L motor and rebuild.. deciding how far to go with this as it's a slippery slope to a 355 with big cam, head work, hi-stall etc!
    _Paint the large fuel tank silver, with black straps
    _Repaint the original wheels
    _Fit door trims after sorting power window regulators
    _The list goes onÖ
    _Just going for a factory look for now.. maybe some period correct Simmons later

Watch this space..
    Last edited by confuzion; 08-01-2020 at 04:41 PM.
    '90 VN SS resto project
    '99 Evo 6 - sold
    inkarbon.com.au - for your carbon fibre goodies & fuel pump hard wiring kits!

Drop tank
    Blower
    R32 GTR - Kippah Performance Signature Series

Quote Originally Posted by masTers View Post
    DAMO PLZ

Antilag.com can't afford to keep forking out for magazine subscriptions every time you offend someone

3. Likes Jumanji, SSICK, Gr3mlin, TJ, monk_13, DanWA, confuzion likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo 69 View Post
    Drop tank
    Blower
    DAMO PLZ
    '90 VN SS resto project
    '99 Evo 6 - sold

5. Likes TJ, DanWA likes this post
    oh and a massive carbon schlong moulded to the side
    R32 GTR - Kippah Performance Signature Series

Quote Originally Posted by masTers View Post
    DAMO PLZ

Antilag.com can't afford to keep forking out for magazine subscriptions every time you offend someone

7. Likes confuzion likes this post
    I hope you guys are maximum peer pressuring Joe

Can't wait for you to do my dash

Xoxo
    a n t i l a g . c o m

10. Likes mr_rotary, confuzion, DanWA likes this post
    Ouuuuft not behd
    02' Lexus GS300
    87' VL Calais Turbo
    95' FZJ80 Landcruiser (for sale)
    98' S14.5
    89' Infinity Q45a
    current daily - x-type jag

Love it!!

Got that engine done yet :P

14. Likes confuzion likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroyon View Post
    Got that engine done yet :P
    LOL not yet :P very soon my friend
    '90 VN SS resto project
    '99 Evo 6 - sold

Little update:
    LSD centre fitted and ol' mate Tyson helped me prop her back into the car all painted up, with new bushes etc

Rebuilt the VT twin piston fronts and standard VN rear calipers, painted & fitted with new discs & pads

And Owen Owen Owen is painting the SS rims and the fuel tank silver at the moment

Soon to smash some rubber on these things and finally get the car on the ground again
    '90 VN SS resto project
    '99 Evo 6 - sold

17. Likes Rb_sil, TJ, Crispymk2 likes this post
    The diff wasnít worth the lacklustre handjob thatís for sure!

19. Likes confuzion, Hurtenstein likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mys1 View Post
    The diff wasnít worth the lacklustre handjob thatís for sure!
    I'll do better next time
    '90 VN SS resto project
    '99 Evo 6 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by confuzion View Post
    I'll do better next time
    Heard that before...
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
    Tyson's had a cock pulled on him before, you'll be hard pressed to sneak anything past him now-a-days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    Biggest oh shit moment was my own stupid fault, late at night Tyson & I were being a bit silly and giving it a fist full.

22. Likes confuzion likes this post
+ Reply to Thread