ITP Racecars
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Lebanese Lamborghini

The Lebanese Lamborghini

This is my 1987 VL Calais, I bought it about a year ago off a friend as a regoed roller. It had no brakes or driveline aside from the 9" rear end.
    Ive spent the past 6ish months working on it in my spare time.

The paint is pretty good and surprisingly little rust, just a half assed rust repair on the rear cowl panel so that will be a job for when the time comes to respray it in the original colour (morning blue over silver)
    It had some kind of v8 and manual gearbox in it previously hence the bonnet scoop that has to go before it hits the road.

the interior has been re-trimmed in Sfouf yellow leather, new black carpet, suede head liner and the boot has a custom spare wheel cover, beaver panel trim, r/h 1/4 trim and a back board which will i will hide the fuel system and battery behind.
    the interior is really nice, someone did a great job on it, i wasn't a fan of the colour at first but its grown on me a little. however the plan is to do a colour change to medeira red which is a factory colour option

The day i picked it up

Last edited by Stefanoh; 12-10-2019 at 01:13 PM.
    02' Lexus GS300
    87' VL Calais Turbo
    95' FZJ80 Landcruiser (for sale)
    98' S14.5
    89' Infinity Q45a
    current daily - x-type jag

2. Likes Chris89, ED40, confuzion, p0630034, TJ likes this post
    Zuuutuuu tuuu
    R32 GTR - Kippah Performance Signature Series

Quote Originally Posted by masTers View Post
    DAMO PLZ

Antilag.com can't afford to keep forking out for magazine subscriptions every time you offend someone

4. Likes Stefanoh, siamak likes this post
    pigeons
    a n t i l a g . c o m

6. Likes Stefanoh likes this post
    Keep the interior as is and spend money on mods. Good luck!!

8. Likes Stefanoh likes this post
    With any good VL build, fitting a big front mount is step 1.

Last edited by Stefanoh; 12-10-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    02' Lexus GS300
    87' VL Calais Turbo
    98' S14.5
    89' Infinity Q45a

10. Likes confuzion, Damo 69 likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by siamak View Post
    Keep the interior as is and spend money on mods. Good luck!!
    Yeah i wont touch the interior untill the cars done, cheers man
    02' Lexus GS300
    87' VL Calais Turbo
    98' S14.5
    89' Infinity Q45a

I ganked the engine combo from my s14.5 drift car. Its an unopened rb25 freak motor, it lived on the rev limiter for about 7 years in the s14 and before that it was in Mark Hadlands R33 and its still going.
    6boob
    GTX3076r
    Freddy plenum
    Vi-Pec v44 plugin tuned to 402hp @14psi on e85 at WTF auto a bunch of years ago. ill wind up the boost once the stall and shift kit are in
    i wanted to go auto on this VL so i ditched the double neutral and got an r33 jatco off a mate for free

The Intercooler pipes from the s14 were very close to fitting so my mexican friend Juan from J1 auto modified them to suit the VL, each side is one piece and stainless steel. He also made a new dump and front pipe to join up to an exhaust system that came off Gorans Calais
    Brenton Lapworth welded the 90 onto my comp cover, how good farken

Picked up a set of Calais stockies.

Here's the s14-rb25 conversion loom. i pulled it all apart and made it to suit the VL

this was probably the most tedious part of the build, the Calais is a factory 304 v8 which made it impossible to find diagrams and pinouts so i just had to trace each wire with the multi meter.

there was allot of this going on in the dash loom so strip, chop, repair, tidy up.
    while i had the dash apart i pulled the fuse box wiring through the firewall and im looking at getting one of the BUSSMAN micro fuse/relay boxes and mount it inside the car to replace the half melted factory fuse box.
    id really like to run a MOTEC PDM but at $1500+ i think ill wait for them to get cheaper

dash wiring all done, ill deal with the fusebox wiring another time

for peace of mind i got the evaporator and heater core tested by natrad, both passed, surprisingly the heater core is the factory unit

the factory brake master stopper looked about as flimsy as a VL and wouldnt bolt up to the VT master cylinder so i made one out of 5mm steel to suit

Fitted a B&M Quicksilver using an off the shelf drop box from fordhold wreckers, it drops the shifter enough to retain the factory shifter surround

matched the interior colour at work and painted the auto shifter surround that i got from a wrecker while i was in vic

i wired up the gearbox to work without the TCM until i get a manual valvebody which basically consisted of using the 12v output from the inhibitor switch's first gear position to power the solenoid/s for 1st gear, the same for 2nd and 3rd with a few diodes. The line pressure solenoid defaults to full line pressure when there's no power going to it. O/D and T/C lockup will be wired to switches, you can have O/D on the shifter but that just means more ratcheting between 1st and reverse and that doesn't sound like a great idea during 3 point turns etc.. reverse pattern would be ideal but they dont make reverse pattern valve bodies for the re4r01a anymore due to issues with line pressure apparently.
    Benched test was a success, interested to see how it works on the street.

this is a radiator

the freddy plenum intake runners looked shit so i tidied them up a bit

the car had no brakes or hardlines
    i picked up some VZ front brakes and VL rears, sandblasted and powder coated them and put new pistons, seals, pins etc.
    then i made the hard lines and polished them.
    Got braided brake lines all round and QFM A1RM 2 brake pads.
    for the VZ front brakes i went with the castelame spudshop billet front hubs, they were the most expensive but they look nice and came with studs and shells already fitted. unfortunately the first pair arrived with nicks all over them from some monkey fitting the shells and studs, so they sent another pair and i couldn't get the wheels on.. turns out the hub bore is machined slightly too big, so i had to machine the wheels center bore about 0.5mm... needless to say i do not recommend, unless you want pretty paper weights.
    The master is VT-VZ and booster is VS, this way everything bolts just bolts on
    brand new handbrake cable from rare spares

Last edited by Stefanoh; 15-10-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    02' Lexus GS300
    87' VL Calais Turbo
    98' S14.5
    89' Infinity Q45a

13. Likes siamak, Crispymk2, TJ, Nugs, mr_rotary, Socrates likes this post
    Nice!

Use imgur for pics to avoid the pesky watermarks
    a n t i l a g . c o m

15. Likes dmanvan, Stefanoh likes this post
    Solid work!

17. Likes Stefanoh likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Nice!

Use imgur for pics to avoid the pesky watermarks
    Thanks man those watermarks are the worst!
    02' Lexus GS300
    87' VL Calais Turbo
    98' S14.5
    89' Infinity Q45a

Nice build mate!
    '90 VN SS resto project
    '99 Evo 6 - sold
    inkarbon.com.au - for your carbon fibre goodies & fuel pump hard wiring kits!

20. Likes Stefanoh likes this post
    That escalated quickly

22. Likes Stefanoh likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by siamak View Post
    That escalated quickly
    Oh man i got a bunch more to upload to be up to date when i cbf
    02' Lexus GS300
    87' VL Calais Turbo
    98' S14.5
    89' Infinity Q45a

24. Likes siamak likes this post
    For the Fuel system i used a Pierburg lift pump in the fuel tank, low pressure high flow to feed the 3L surge tank without cooking the juice.
    Then i threw the Aeroflow catalogue at the car and went with the 250 series PTFE hose which is like the 200 series but has a nylon braid covering the steel braid.
    i used -6 for the surge tank feed, overflow and fuel rail return with bulkhead fittings to connect to the hoses under the car.
    For the Feed side each pump is running a check valve so i can stage the fuel pumps, then they go to a single -8 hose to the bulkhead fitting and from there its anodized aluminium hard line to the front of the car and then hose to the rail with an inline filter and fuel pressure sensor.
    In an effort to keep the noise down from the twin 044s i used rubber mounts i found on fleabay and acoustic foam to cover all the holes in the bulkhead.
    With all the tailor made boot trims in place everything is hidden and looks toit. The cream is starting to grow on me

02' Lexus GS300
    87' VL Calais Turbo
    98' S14.5
    89' Infinity Q45a

26. Likes masTers, p0630034, Damo 69 likes this post
    this week i sent the front bumper reo and the brake master bracket (that i made to suit the VS/VT booster/master setup) to get sandblasted and powder coated.

bolted up the front bumper to finish up trimming the bottom to clear the intercooler and figure out where to put the power steering cooler.
    As you can see in the picture the front bumper is nearly all back to plastic and most of the body mouldings and bumpers are ready for primer and then Asteroid Silver because if its not two tone, is it even a kebab taxi? this is taking up allot of time due to the 3 swage lines that run around the entire car on all the bumpers and side moulds, then there's the amount of parts.. two 3 piece bumpers, two 3 piece upper bumper moulds, and 12 side moulds. the reason for going back to plastic is simply because i don't trust the paint that's on it and i don't want to be doing this twice

mounted the PWR transmission cooler and plumbed it up

and started to mount the new fuse boxes, they are Bussman PDMs, dual bussed and suuuper small. one has 20 micro fuses and the other has 10 plus 5 micro relays. there isn't mushroom in the VL to mount so i went with the kick panel and used friggen lasers to transfer the A pillar hole onto the kick panel and marked out the fuse boxes from there

on Sunday i'm picking up a oil catch can made to fit where the original fuse box was in the engine bay

Last edited by Stefanoh; 09-11-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    02' Lexus GS300
    87' VL Calais Turbo
    98' S14.5
    89' Infinity Q45a

28. Likes p0630034 likes this post
+ Reply to Thread