TKO Tinting
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2002 Carbon Black.. lucky #4

2002 Carbon Black.. lucky #4

Onto my 4th E46 M3 and first SMG.
    In the past I had an estoril, imola, silver grey and now carbon black.

Iíve known the car and the owner through the bmw circles for a few years and the opportunity came up to buy it as he moved onto an E92 M3.

Here are first few pics when I went to see it... unwashed and sad looking!

Car is a 2002, CB with 220,000kms.

Was Stock other than Supersprint race muffler, decat pipes, OEM LED tails, cold air intake, angel eyes and front lip.

I really hated the first drive, was very loud, raspy, drony and did I say LOUD!
    Plus whole car was very clunky during shifting (not the usual SMG).

I still persisted to convince myself to get it as I really wanted a little project and wanted to tidy it up.

First plan of attack was:
    - remove front lip
    - remove decat pipes and instal OEM cats
    - fix the front and rear sagging bumpers
    - clean the car somewhat
    - get the SMG clutch adaptation done

First free day I had, I did the bumpers, OEM cats, removed front lip and gave her bit of a clean. Few pics ....

Also had a friend do the SMG clutch adaptation (think thatís what itís called..) and as soon as I started to drive home I noticed 90% improvement. Much less clunky, and even auto mode was quicker and smoother. Very impressed!

After those small jobs, I fixed about 80% of things that made me dislike the car.

The next free day I had was spent tidying up the interior a bit. Plan was to give the full leather a nice clean and conditioner and also paint a few peeling plastics as well as clean the ultra shiny and dirty steering wheel. Also got a delivery in the form of a resonated x pipe which goes nicely with SS race muffler.

The leather came up really good and the condition is decent especially for the high mileage the car has travelled.

I also did an oil service and sent the oil for analysis just to see if any traces of bearings being on their way out. All came back clear !

2. Likes Frenchy, 180SXTCY likes this post
    When I bought the car the previous owner had collected a few parts for the subframe reinforcement and he kindly included it with the sale. So plan was always to reinforce the subframe especially with the 220k kms on the clock.

So while I had some time off work, I decided to tackle the job in my garage. (Not the first time Iíve done this job.. sale was done on my Imola m3).

Day 1- strip and assess the damage

Luckily I didnít find anything too scary considering the high KMS.

3 mounts had some cracks.

Few pics..(weird order)

I Couldnít do the welding so had someone come out to do the job for me. I was happy with the work and the cost. He welded the cracks and then the plates (Redish). After
    The welding I applied the seam sealer and underbody coat over the plates.

Today I finished it all off and got the car back
    On the ground

Went for a quick two minute drive to make sure no odd noises. Didnít really drive it hard but so far the shifts in auto and manual mode are so much smoother. Will give it a proper drive next few days.

As well as redish plates getting welded, I also did the following
    - guibo and centre bearing
    - RTAB bushes
    - diff bushes
    - subframe bushes

After seeing a few nice BBK threads and this car needing new discs soon, I came accross a thread by an Australian member jshaddow who fitted some F8X brakes to his CS. He also supplies the brackets etc needed to make
    It fit.

Came across these almost new brakes that came off an M4.

Not sure if Iíll end up fitting them yet. We ll see.

Also while the car was on jack stands waiting for me to find a welder for the reinforcement plates I did the exterior black trim swap from matte to gloss finish. Had a gloss set off an M sport 325ci I parted out. No pics yet but much nicer seeing the gloss Finish!

This was one of the old rear trims...

picture hosting

5. Likes confuzion, TJ likes this post
    Still such an awesome looking car.
    a n t i l a g . c o m

This is a man with a serious problem... But I quite like this one, and look forward to seeing the next one in about 2 weeks time! 😉
    S4 Avant

8. Likes confuzion, TJ, adrenalin, Rajvosa likes this post
    i also found that resetting the adaptations for the gearbox and re-calibrating it made a huge difference. I took it one step further and flashed the CSL gearbox software onto mine. It makes for faster gear changes, lifts the launch control rpm and a few other things.
    My Garage:
    -05' BMW E46 M3
    -01' S15 SR20DET - SOLD
    -01' S15 SR22DET - SOLD
    -95' S13 180SX SR20DET - SOLD
    -91' S13 180SX SR20DET - SOLD

Lol just cant help yourself ...

Big plans for this one ?
    MY09 Evo X MR

Racewars Car #252. 212.03 KPH - 800 M

Collie. 54.64

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy_S View Post
    This is a man with a serious problem... But I quite like this one, and look forward to seeing the next one in about 2 weeks time! 😉
    hahahahha you know me too well lol

Quote Originally Posted by 180SXTCY View Post
    i also found that resetting the adaptations for the gearbox and re-calibrating it made a huge difference. I took it one step further and flashed the CSL gearbox software onto mine. It makes for faster gear changes, lifts the launch control rpm and a few other things.
    yeah i had a friend flash an engine tune as well as CSL software last night. gained some midrange power and shifts are so crisp!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post
    Lol just cant help yourself ...

Big plans for this one ?
    hmmm not really man. thinking of getting bumper or front end painted and then see if i keep or move on.

+ Reply to Thread