Maytech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Japan V3 - Going for the F1

Japan V3 - Going for the F1

So booked some cheap tickets to Japan last night.

Going in October 5-25th

Would like to see the following

F1 at Suzuka (any recommendations on where to stay would be good)
    Some Car Culture
    Good Food
    Prostitutes

Pretty much have no plans yet. Anything I need to know/see/do other than some of the below listed

JR rail pass seems like the way to go
    Something to cover my tattoos for some places
    WIFI Device at airport for translating

Who were the flights through?
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Malaysia Airlines so might not be coming back.

But I booked through Fly365.com which seems to have pretty decent reviews online.

Also looking to go over for the F1.

Have friends over there atm, so will grab some tips from them.
    a n t i l a g . c o m

From my mate via VB whos's been every year since 2015.

Stay in Nagoya. We did Airbnb which was great. You're tall so maybe look at one of the hotel. Stay near station.
    Train to and from Nagoya/Suzuki takes about 45 minutes
    Then 15 minute walk to track
    Fly into Tokyo, then bullet train to Nagoya.
    When I get home I'll send you places I stayed

3 day pass
    Friday you can walk around whole track and sit anywhere then sat and Sunday sit in allocated seats.
    There is plenty of parking available so hire car would be ideal if a few of you
    Driving in Japan was very easy
    Just make sure you get international licence
    We hire 7 seater mini van for 6 of us that allowed us to carry luggage easily
    I've sat at turns 2, 6 and 17. 2 was best in my opinion. Saw Jules accident from 6
    17 is for families
    From 2 you see car from main straight into turn 1,2 and 3
    Entry to and from track is in area behind turn 1

Nagoya is big city so plenty tondo there including Toyota (Toyoda) museum
    a n t i l a g . c o m

When I went for the MotoGP at Motegi a couple of years back me and a mate grabbed a campervan. Was an absolute blast. Not sure if Suzuka has the same setup as Motgeti where campervans can park inside and set up for the weekend but would be worth a look. Used http://www.japancampers.com/

Doing the same trip again but making it to the F1 as well is something we've been meaning to do since.

Also keen to get a tattoo while I am there if anyone has the skinny on that

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    From my mate via VB whos's been every year since 2015.
    Went this year and stayed in Nagoya as well. It takes longer than that to get to the track on train, especially on race day. Probably 1.5 hours more accurate but I agree with everything else he said.

Not many foreigners seemed to be there but the Japs fucking loved it, also just about every person there is wearing merchandise clothing... They also are very Honda proud, heaps of Toro Rosso gear on show so next year with Red Bull will be amazing. Not much in the way of other racing so delays between the F1 sessions can be long.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
    Also keen to get a tattoo while I am there if anyone has the skinny on that
    Not sure about tattoos over there, I do know that they are fairly frowned upon in Japan and many places will actually refuse you entry without them covered.

PS. I flew back Malaysian Airlines (albeit Business class) and the flight from Tokyo to KL was the best service I've had period. The hostie made it her mission to not let me get 3/4 the way through a drink without a top up.

Just realised you are going for a lot more time than just the F1.

Definitely get a Japan rail pass and use Hyperdia website, the transport system there is amazing, clean, fast and on time every time. You can get anywhere fairly quickly on the bullet trains and they are super easy. Everything is signed in dual language and most people speak at least some English and if not there are info booths where they will be fluent.

Nagoya is ok to stay for the F1 but then move on. Try and stay in Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo for a while each, they are all awesome for different reasons. Highly recommend a day trip down to Hiroshima on the bullet train as well, it's a very humbling and unusual experience. The people are very friendly and courteous, the food is also awesome and booze is super cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonR32 View Post
    Went this year and stayed in Nagoya as well. It takes longer than that to get to the track on train, especially on race day. Probably 1.5 hours more accurate but I agree with everything else he said.

Not many foreigners seemed to be there but the Japs fucking loved it, also just about every person there is wearing merchandise clothing... They also are very Honda proud, heaps of Toro Rosso gear on show so next year with Red Bull will be amazing. Not much in the way of other racing so delays between the F1 sessions can be long.

Not sure about tattoos over there, I do know that they are fairly frowned upon in Japan and many places will actually refuse you entry without them covered.

PS. I flew back Malaysian Airlines (albeit Business class) and the flight from Tokyo to KL was the best service I've had period. The hostie made it her mission to not let me get 3/4 the way through a drink without a top up.
    All good on having to cover them. Used to that anyway but would love to get one whilst there

Thanks for the good advice. I am super keen to do some touristy stuff aswell hence the longer stay

I was thinking

- f1
    - Tokyo
    - Hiroshima
    - Osaka
    - Want to see MT Fuji.

Do want to do some driving also
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Thats way too much planning haha I think I need to start researching itineraries

I was thinking

- f1
    - Tokyo
    - Hiroshima
    - Osaka
    - Want to see MT Fuji.

Do want to do some driving also
    Coming from South to Tokyo on the Shinkansen goes straight past Mt Fuji with a good view on it, just sit on the left of the train.

Japanese baseball games are worth seeing for the crowd antics. Fuji Q if you like roller-coasters, check the weather as if you go on a windy day rides will be out of action. Also don't forget to book a seat on a bus to get back to Tokyo lol

Quote Originally Posted by SimonR32 View Post
    Coming from South to Tokyo on the Shinkansen goes straight past Mt Fuji with a good view on it, just sit on the left of the train.
    I meant more getting close and personal if possible. Not climbing it however!
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Moto GP is the weekend after.
    Id hit up both.

17. Likes crabman likes this post
    Museum at Motegi is great if you do the Moto GP

I meant more getting close and personal if possible. Not climbing it however!
    A classic quote for climbing Mt Fuji: https://youtu.be/H37fF13-Sk0?t=146

^^ Remember watching that the first time and thinking Karl is being proper inspirational here and then he goes "but I feel like shit" nearly pissed myself

21. Likes kris likes this post
    Rugby World Cup is on also, would be good to see a game over there as the Japanese get right into it.
    ZAK

+ Reply to Thread