Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: F1 2019

F1 2019

Another year, another season.

Starting with this

Happy 50th, Michael.

a n t i l a g . c o m

2. Likes Damo 69 likes this post
    Booked tickets to Japan last night covering the F1 race weekend. Pretty excited!

4. Likes waxdass, SimonR32 likes this post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t15tKnsUJrk

Ross on Michael - this will be great.
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Sooooo:
    Will Ferrari finally catch up or will they/Vettel choke again?
    Will Leclerc do the dutiful thing or just go out and smash ze German?
    Can McLaren and Williams finally get their aero right and manage the wake from the front tyres properly when the car is in yaw or will their downward spiral continue?
    Can Renault finally produce a properly competitive engine with actual horsepowers for qualifying?
    Will the RedBull Honda be any good?
    Will Max stop crashing into people?
    Will Dan have to find solace in his bank account balance or will the Enstone people produce the goods for him?
    Will Hamilton stop being such a knob? (OK the answer to that is known)
    Will Bottas finally get his shit together?
    Where will Rob Smedley end up?
    How many drivers will TR go through this season?
    Will Kubica's return be what he and most others wish it to be?
    Can Kimi's Indian summer continue at Sauber?
    Will Stroll still suck at Racing Point/Force India/daddy owns Hilfiger/what ever Jordan are called these days?
    Will Perez get looked after properly?

All this and more to start to be answered after three months of tedium and bullshit about paint schemes....

Autosport plus

In 2005 Autosport's sister title Motorsport News uncovered a never-before-seen document where Michael Schumacher offered to drive for Eddie Jordan for at least three years if the Irishman gave him his break into Formula 1.

Jordan had offered Schumacher the deal in 1991 to help thrust the team into world championship contention, and he told MN ahead of its 50th anniversary celebrations in 2005 that he believed his team could have been one of the most successful in F1 if the German had stuck to the agreement.

The contract with Schumacher was overturned in the courts after just one grand prix and the eventual seven-time world champion was free to join Benetton, with which he won two titles in the mid-1990s.

Jordan told MN: "It taught me a lot about contracts. You deal with so many people and so many contracts in Formula 1 you simply can't be on top of every little detail.

"I don't think there is a company in the world that hasn't made a mistake with a contract at one time or another."

Jordan had offered Schumacher a contract, but the document (pictured below) only refers to 'a driver agreement'. Because it was non-specific, Schumacher was able to leave the team after one race at Spa in 1991.

Interestingly the agreement (see full wording below), shows an amendment on the second line where the word 'the' is crossed out and replaced with the word 'a'.

22 August 1991

For the attention of Eddie Jordan

Dear Eddie

I confirm that if you enter me in the 1991 Belgian Grand Prix I will sign the a driver agreement with you prior to Monza in respect of my services in 1991, 1992, 1993 and subject to Mercedes' first option, 1994. The driver agreement will be substantially in the form of the agreement produced by you with only mutually agreed amendments.

I understand that PP Sauber Ltd will pay you £150,000 per race for 1991.

I also understand that you require US$ 3.5 million for both 1992 and 1993 and if I or my backers are unable to find this money you will be entitled to retain my services in those years.

Yours sincerely

Michael Schumacher
    That refers to a driver contract Jordan had already drawn up for Schumacher. Had Schumacher signed the contract Jordan was referring to, he may well have had to stay with the team until at least 1993.

It is this tiny amendment - replacing 'the' with 'a' - that almost certainly made it much harder for Jordan to retain Schumacher's services after his 1991 F1 debut.

"You wouldn't sign a footballer for one match only, would you?" Jordan added. "Sure, we wanted to keep hold of him and I believe he wanted to stay with us too. After the Belgian GP we wanted to test and it was pretty clear he wouldn't come. We knew then that something was wrong."

Schumacher was driving for Mercedes in sportscars at the time and the German firm was keen to give a home-grown driver a chance in F1. It would pay for Schumacher's seat - £150,000 per race in 1991 and then US$3.5million for 1992 and '93 - for the duration of his stay with Jordan.

"After he didn't turn up for the test, we knew we were starting a fight," added Jordan. "It is incredible that big things in F1 can come down to the difference between using the word 'a' in a contract when it should have been 'the', but that's motor racing sometimes. It made me very conscious of every document after that."

Jordan said the fight for Schumacher's services after his debut for the team - when he qualified seventh in the 191 before retiring in the opening moments with clutch failure - was tough.

He explained: "Schumacher's management team could see they would get more money by moving him to Benetton. I understand that Bernie Ecclestone told Flavio Briatore to take him, even though the people at Benetton - like Tom Walkinshaw - wanted to take Martin Brundle instead."

Jordan finally let Schumacher go after the legal battle but without the financial settlement many people think took place.

"I did not get a dime out of this," he said. "But, you know, things have a funny way of working themselves out in life. Schumacher left us and we got his brother Ralf [in 1997, pictured] - and when Ralf wanted to go to Williams in 1999, Michael paid him out of his contract with us."

Following Schumacher's defection, Jordan's team continued with Yamaha engines in 1992 but had a disastrous season, scoring only one point with drivers Mauricio Gugelmin and Stefano Modena.

It would be another six years before it finally broke into the winner's circle - back at Spa in 1998 with Damon Hill behind the wheel.

"Maybe they'd be lost years because we had seen the result of what Jordan had [for '92] and it was a disaster"
    Schumacher's manager Willi Weber
    "It is very difficult to know what the future would have held for us if we had managed to keep hold of Michael Schumacher," said Jordan. "Schumacher just got better and better and better. Benetton weren't doing a lot in terms of success until he went there and started working with their people.

"We were an emerging team at the time too. I am not saying we would have had the fantastic success that Benetton had, but we would have been able to hold our own. When you see what he did at Benetton, we think that could have happened to us as well. We were unlucky."

Schumacher's former manager Willi Weber told MN in 2005: "What was written says, 'after we drive in Spa we would sign a contract', but not 'this' contract. 'A' contract should be under our conditions, not under [Jordan's] conditions.

"We knew Eddie had Yamaha engines [for 1992] and this was not what we really expected. This 'a' saved our lives, let's put it this way. And it was very clear at the court, when the judge said immediately, it says 'Michael and Willi will sign a contract'.

"So what is 'a' contract? We could sign a contract with him to visit his factory two times a year. That's 'a' contract. It could be anything."

When Weber was asked if there would have been a problem if the document said 'the' contract and whether Schumacher would have had to stay at Jordan he replied: "Yes. Michael would have to stay there one, maybe two years.

"But maybe they'd be lost years because we had seen the result of what Jordan had [for '92] and it was a disaster."

a n t i l a g . c o m

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorsports...i9&sh=635df2d6

Someone please download as I am on 1997 internet
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Got a delivery today
    a n t i l a g . c o m

10. Likes dmanvan likes this post
    The start of the new F1 season is upon us and with it comes a whole new set of rules and regulations.

While the lion’s share of the 2019 rule change headlines have been grabbed by the technical changes to front and rear wings, barge boards and brake ducts (and while most of the noise around the upcoming season seems to be the wailing and gnashing of teeth of F1 aerodynamicists bemoaning lost downforce), the 2019 Sporting Regulations have also been given the once-over and some subtle but important changes have been. Here, then, are our top tweaks on the racing side of F1’s 2019 rules…

If the glove fits
    The FIA Safety Department has been testing race gloves that feed the vital signs of a driver back to circuit medical teams for some time now and from this season onwards biometric gloves will be mandatory.
    The gloves feature a tiny sensor sewn into the fabric of the glove. The sensor sends information over a robust bluetooth link and in the event of an incident will give the medical car crew crucial data about a drivers’ condition as they make their way to the scene.

Lighting the way
    In order to improve car visibility in poor weather conditions, cars are now required to have three lights at the rear. The normal central rear light we’re all familiar is retained, while an additional LED light must now be fitted to each rear wing endplate.
    That’s the technical regulation bit. The sporting part insists that the lights “must be illuminated at all times when using intermediate or wet-weather tyres”. The rule also states that if no lights work at the back of the car “it shall be at the discretion of the race director to decide whether or not a driver should be stopped” and that “should a car be stopped in this way the driver may re-join when the fault has been remedied.”

Fuelled up
    The fuel limit has been upped for 2019 from 105kg for the race to 110kg. This has primarily been done to allow drivers to use the engine at full power at all times. Whether it entirely spells an end to fuel saving during races remains to be seen but hopefully it will mean that drivers will at least be able to push harder in the final stages of a race.

Grid penalties
    Last season the rather arcane system of grid penalties was simplified via a rule that states that any driver incurring a power unit-related penalty of more than 15 places will be put to the back of the grid.
    In the event that more than one driver incurred a penalty of 15 or more, grid order would be decided by the order in which the offences were committed. Offences were deemed to have been committed the first time any new elements were used on track. This led to the slightly farcical situation of drivers parking up at the end of the pitlane well in advance of FP1 to make sure they were first out on track in order to get a better slot at the rear of the grid.
    To prevent that happening in 2019, drivers dropping to the back will be placed on the grid in qualifying order, a move which also encourages teams to send a driver out to set a competitive time in Q1 instead of making a token appearance and then retreating to the garage to save tyres.
    When a Q1 effort goes spectacularly wrong and a driver fails to set a time within 107% of pole position, he too will be put to the back of the grid behind even those taking power unit-related penalties. Should there be more than one driver allowed to start in this manner they will be arranged on the grid in the order they were classified in FP3.

The chequered panel
    We’re not losing the traditional square of chequered cloth being waved at the end of the race but to avoid any complications (and we’ve had a few in the past), the official end-of-race signal will now be a chequered light panel activated by race officials. The panel will be illuminated at the finish line as soon as the leading car has covered the full race distance.

Training days
    As a cost-saving device teams have only been allowed a certain number of operational personnel at races and while that number still sits at 60, teams are being given a little leeway, with teams now being allowed six individual exceptions during a season to bring trainee personnel. However, no individual trainee may attend more than two events in this capacity.

Ready to race
    In what is presumably a time and labour-saving move, the FIA now requires teams to self-scrutinise. Initial scrutineering is now in the hands of teams who will have to submit a signed declaration of conformity to race officials 18 hours before the start of FP1. Unless a waiver is granted by the stewards, competitors who don’t keep to these time limits will not be allowed to take part in the event. In the event that a team needs to change a survival cell after initial they’ll need to fill out a new form.

Line dancing
    The rules on overtaking following race restarts have also been tweaked. Now, no driver is allowed to overtake until he has crossed the finishing line – rather than the earlier safety car line, as was the case previously.

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/ar...CL-RJ9SlLmq_58

Natalie Pinkham's recent podcast with Dan Ricciardo is well worth a listen.

13. Likes mr_rotary likes this post
    Haas F1 Team

15. Likes adrenalin, TJ, dmanvan likes this post
    Autosport on HANS

Bob Hubbard should be rightly remembered for the huge contribution he made to safety in motorsport. Particularly as the 25th anniversary of the dark weekend that was the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix approaches.

Along with his business partner and pioneering HANS user Jim Downing, American professor Hubbard worked for years to get the device accepted, often in the face of scepticism and open hostility.

Sadly, it would take a series of high-profile fatal accidents in major categories to accelerate its adoption, to the point where it is now as commonplace in motorsport as seat belts and helmets. Many owe their lives to Hubbard's persistence.

"It's saved countless drivers from serious injury or death," says the FIA's Charlie Whiting. "It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that."

Hubbard was the right man for the job. He had a strong background in road safety research, both in the academic world and at General Motors, where in the 1970s he helped to develop the Hybrid III crash test dummy that would become standard industry equipment. His PhD explored the mechanical properties of skull bone.

At weekends he helped the pit crew of Downing, a well known SCCA and IMSA racer (and Hubbard's brother-in-law). It was the death of Downing's friend Patrick Jacquemart in a testing accident at Mid-Ohio in July 1981 that spurred both men into action.

It was evident that too many drivers were dying from basilar skull fractures as their heads were thrown forward in head-on impacts. So while continuing his day job as a university professor, Hubbard conducted early experiments and filed some patents. Downing raced with what the pair called a Head and Neck Support device for the first time during an IMSA event at Daytona in November 1986. The ungainly prototype quickly earned the uncomplimentary "Darth Vader" nickname.

"We were going into the unknown," Hubbard (above) would later recall. "There wasn't any good knowledge of racing crashes back when we started back in the early 1980s - no systematic record keeping and no real analysis of driver injuries and deaths in racing. It was a whole new world.

"I had studied human injury biomechanics and I knew what happens to humans when they get hurt. I also knew crashes were not predictable, that there was a huge diversity when it comes to how people get hurt and the medical consequences. I knew a lot about the world we were entering, and it was sobering."

In 1988, Paul Newman became the second driver to wear a HANS prototype during a race. Development then stepped up a gear with pioneering sled testing at Michigan's Wayne State University, and, together with later work backed by General Motors, that helped Hubbard to compile formal research papers to demonstrate the worth of his ideas.

When no established safety company was interested in producing the HANS, Hubbard and Downing set up on their own, helped by some modest start-up funding from the state of Michigan. They began selling the HANS in 1991 - but in those early days, when it was custom made and cost up to $5000, there were few takers.

Mika Hakkinen's crash at the Australian GP in November 1995 provided further impetus for the FIA to pursue the HANS
    It took the deaths of Ayrton Senna and Roland Ratzenberger at Imola, and the other crashes that blighted the 1994 Formula 1 season, to move things on.

Searching for answers, the FIA President Max Mosley formed the Expert Advisory Group to explore safety issues. Chaired by Professor Sid Watkins, its members included Whiting, engineers Harvey Postlethwaite and Peter Wright, and Gerhard Berger, while McLaren donated a chassis for testing. The HANS caught the group's attention at an early stage.

"When the representatives from the FIA came over after Ayrton Senna's crash to visit us at General Motors, the technical results of the testing on the HANS Device were impressive," Hubbard said of the initial contact.

"But I think complementary to that, we had over 200 drivers using the HANS at the time and none of them had been injured in a way the HANS was designed to help prevent. So, the credibility that came from drivers using the HANS was a big deal."

Mika Hakkinen's crash at the Australian GP in November 1995 provided further impetus for the FIA to pursue the HANS.

"It was something that we looked at quite early on," says Whiting. "We used a high-G sled at MIRA [the Motor Industry Research Association] to test various things, most important of which was the higher cockpit sides, that's what we concentrated on first. During that research, we did try the HANS for the first time."

Meanwhile, Wright thought it prudent to reach out to other organisations involved in motorsport to see what other resources could be brought in.

"I happened to be sent by the FIA to Hockenheim to investigate the movable ballast system on the Mercedes DTM car," he recalls

"While there I said, 'If the FIA approached Mercedes, would they be prepared to get involved with safety research?' They came back and said, 'Yes, if your president contacts our head of R&D, we will probably help'."

Leading Stuttgart engineer Hubert Gramling was subsequently seconded to lead the R&D work.

"The initial programme was for an airbag system," says Wright. "With Hakkinen's accident we thought 'we can't deal with that with a headrest, we need an airbag' - a removable headrest, as it were.

"We looked at a lot of other things, and one of the things that came up was the HANS, which of course was for an upright seating system. So, Mercedes started a programme to look at the HANS and airbags, and developed both to the point where they could show that both of them worked, and offered a degree of protection.

"The early HANS was made out of aluminium and [was] riveted; it was a clunky structure, big and cumbersome, since it was developed in sportscars and used quite extensively in powerboats. But it showed the principle was right.

"The decision was made quite early on to go after the HANS, because the airbag was a bit complicated. It involved explosives in the cockpit, and it was a one-shot system. If you had a second impact, you were in trouble. Hubert did a very thorough programme, working with Bob Hubbard and Jim Downing, making sure it was safe under all circumstances.

As he moved around the garage area servicing his customers at the 2001 Daytona 500, Hubbard was frustrated by the resistance he faced, especially from veteran competitors
    "Bob was the man who had developed the head and shoulders of the Hybrid III, the dummy that did all the early work on airbags at GM. His knowledge of that dummy, and the human side of the shoulders, is really what the HANS is all about."

Berger had tested an early version of the HANS on track in 1995-1996, but it clearly wasn't yet ready for use in F1. Gramling's major contribution was to help to develop a much sleeker design.

"Hubert impressed us a lot," says Whiting. "He took the HANS a bit further, he realised it needed a bit of honing. He discussed it a lot with Bob and Jim, and we went over there a few times, to various seminars and gatherings in the US, and worked with them to try to perfect it.

"[At the time], it came in one size fits all, one angle, and it was never designed for a reclined seating position. And it had to be adapted to make it look like an F1 device. Hubert did a lot of work like that, and it was finally homologated."

A key moment came at the 2000 San Marino GP, six years after the Senna/Ratzenberger accidents. That weekend Mosley - accompanied by Mercedes boss Jurgen Huppert - officially unveiled the latest HANS spec.

"We're going to give one to each team to use this season in testing," Mosley noted at the time. "And the intention is, unless there is an unforeseen problem, to bring the system in as compulsory from 2001."

Development had continued in parallel in the USA. Newman/Haas drivers Michael Andretti and Christian Fittipaldi were early adopters in CART, supported by medical experts Terry Trammell and Steve Olvey. The deaths of Gonzalo Rodriguez and Greg Moore in 1999 helped to accelerate the compulsory use of HANS in that series.

In 2000, the focus turned to NASCAR after a dreadful run of fatal accidents had claimed the lives of Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin and Tony Roper. Encouraged by the car companies, who subsidised the devices, several NASCAR drivers tried the HANS during the build-up to the '01 Daytona 500.

But as he moved around the garage area servicing his customers at that race, Hubbard was frustrated by the resistance he faced, especially from veteran competitors.

The race would change all that. Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash on the final lap, in which he suffered a basilar skull fracture, would prove to be a turning point. After suppling some 250 devices in the decade up to that point, Hubbard and Downing sold 250 in the week after Daytona - and by the end of that year the total had reached 3000. Although their faith in the product was vindicated, they took little pleasure from the tragic turn of events.

The HANS was soon standard equipment and, crucially in an industry dominated by data, Hubbard could provide sanctioning bodies with solid results from the years of research.

"I hoped the papers would provide credibility to technical decision makers later on," he recalled. "When CART was casting about after Gonzalo Rodriguez and Greg Moore were killed, and when NASCAR finally needed to do something, the fact we had presented these highly credible technical papers was the basis for them feeling confident that a head and neck restraint was the right thing to do. The medical people respected the technical papers, too."

The FIA didn't meet Mosley's original deadline of 2001 for compulsory introduction of the device into F1, mainly because the homologation process and legal technicalities proved to be complex.

"We couldn't just let them corner the market like that," says Whiting. "We had to come up with the right standard, which anyone could comply with. That's the problem with our business, we can't just say, 'Chaps, off you go and get this.' We couldn't say you've got to use a Bell helmet, for example."

"The one that really seemed to crack HANS usage in F1 was Alonso's in Brazil. That's because he said he really felt it working"
    Peter Wright
    "What Max wouldn't do was mandate something for which there was a monopoly," adds Wright. "There was a Mercedes-Hubbard-Downing patent, and Max said that's got to be licensed. The HANS is a very cunning device, and the bits that make it so good are patented. So, it was protected.

"We knew that it was going to be quite difficult to get it into F1 anyway, so we said 'let CART push ahead with it' - they put it in first - and [thought] 'we'll learn a phenomenal amount from them - if we haven't got all the licensing sorted out, let's pause for a year, and let CART do some beta work.'"

By 2003, the FIA was finally ready to make the HANS mandatory in F1, and Stand 21 and Schroth were licensed to produce their own versions in Europe. Some drivers found it uncomfortable in testing, and Rubens Barrichello was particularly vocal after the opening race in Melbourne.

"It met with quite a lot of resistance from drivers," says Whiting. "A few of them grizzled, some of them just got on with it. I remember Sid gave Rubens a dispensation in Malaysia, the second race of that year. I don't think Max was very happy about it, and I think with the benefit of hindsight Sid thought it wasn't a very good idea after all."

The first real test of the HANS in F1 came almost immediately in the third race of the 2003 season at Interlagos, when Fernando Alonso crashed into debris from Mark Webber's earlier accident as he made his way onto the pit straight. Having experienced separate impacts of 35G and 60G, Alonso made it clear that the device had made a difference.

"The one that really seemed to crack it was Alonso's," says Wright. "That's because he said he really felt it working."

The following year, Felipe Massa suffered a huge head-on impact with a tyre wall at the Montreal hairpin. By now it was clear that the HANS was already saving lives in F1.

"Once they were made aware of the benefits it was just a matter of getting used to it," says Whiting. "It's like the halo, and how the drivers sit lower and lower in the cars these days."

Mandatory HANS usage soon spread to other categories, and as sales went up and new manufacturing techniques were developed, the unit price came down. Hubbard eventually sold his shares to Downing, who in turn sold the company to parts supplier Simpson, although both remained involved as consultants.

Sadly, in recent years Hubbard had been struggling with Parkinson's disease, and he passed away on February 5 at the age of 75.

"He was a lovely guy, a really nice man, very smart, academic based," says Wright. "He was somebody we talked to a lot over the following years, because he gave such good advice."

So how should we view Hubbard (below, right, at the 2007 Autosport Awards with Downing) and the HANS and their combined contribution to motorsport safety? Wright has no doubts.

"At the end of the day we're trying to protect the driver's head and neck from an impact from any direction," he says. "From the sides and the back we do it with a headrest, or the ears on a sportscar or rally car seat.

"But you've got this section which is 30-40 degrees either side of straight-ahead where you can't put protective structure. The HANS deals with that, and is good to 70G. And you don't get basilar skull fractures now. It's the single biggest thing we've done in the past 25 years."
    a n t i l a g . c o m

a n t i l a g . c o m

Because vaping is good for you. Weak pingpingpingpings. Why not get a proper sponsor?

Expect it will go about as well as their last piss poor effort. That is both McLaren and BAT.

Williams have launched their livery. In place of Martini they have something called ROKit.

So HAAS signs an maker of energy drinks that nobody can buy now Williams have a phone company you cant buy phones off.

Must be a new way of doing business. Because selling actual products is clearly old fashioned.

21. Likes dmanvan likes this post
    New investment into F1 is actually a very good thing.

When is Williams showing their new car without the flow vis?
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Looking forward to this week.

LAUNCH DATES
    February 7 Haas Livery - launch online
    February 11 Toro Rosso - Online
    February 11 Williams - Livery launch
    February 12 Renault - Enstone, UK
    February 13 Mercedes - Silverstone, UK
    February 13 Red Bull - To be confirmed
    February 13 Racing Point - Toronto, Canada
    February 14 McLaren - McLaren Technology Centre
    February 15 Ferrari - Maranello, Italy
    February 18 Alfa Romeo - Barcelona, Spain

TESTING DATES
    February 18-21 Test One - Barcelona, Spain
    February 26-March 1 Test Two - Barcelona, Spain

Be interesting to see how competitive Alfa Romeo are going to be or maybe more to the point how competitive Ferrari will allow them to be.

team sports can go to hell. I'm never going to rely on some weak minded MufaF@#$ to help me win a game. Ill win it myself. George Leeman.

FYRE needed to sponsor something

27. Likes Fozzy, TJ, SimonR32 likes this post
    Renault

29. Likes dmanvan, waxdass likes this post
    Digging the new red bull livery

Quote Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
    Trust me, if someone could find me a stackhat and a 911, I'd happily do it.

31. Likes mr_rotary likes this post

Boiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido View Post

Love it. However in past years Red Bull always comes out with these awesome liveries (remember the camo?) and then go back to their standard one.

EDIT: Read the news and exactly my suspicions.
    Last edited by mr_rotary; 14-02-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido View Post

Yeah no Renault, no yellow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast