TKO Tinting
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speedevent series Collie Weekender

Speedevent series Collie Weekender

Come on you lot, we need more cars out doing what they were designed for and that is driving flat out in racetracks

New series management and a lot better ran then previous years

Entryís are now out for the next couple of rounds of the State Speedevent Series down in Collie on the 12/13 of October, alway a great weekend with a beers and lies session on the Friday and Saturday night around the campfires

Entry forms can be found here

http://speedeventseries.org/
    Nismo Sauras Jr 290hp and 450kg

61.3 Long track Wanneroo,
    52.4 Short track Wanneroo
    46.55 Collie

Will it get cancelled if it doesnt reach 50 entries?...

Quote Originally Posted by beatle View Post
    Will it get cancelled if it doesnt reach 50 entries?...
    LOL

The Collie guys aren't pingpingpingpings like WASCC

46.55 Collie

4. Likes beatle likes this post
    Yeah, pretty sure I'm in. Just need to set rear wheels to actually toe in by 3 mm instead of the same but toe-out and I'll get there. Keen to try new toy on a proper track.

Speaking of which, possibility of new extended track being in play by then is?

Quote Originally Posted by 200MPH View Post

Speaking of which, possibility of new extended track being in play by then is?
    Not a chance from what I understand, some mates who were at Lemons a few weeks back said something like they still had 20000 bolts to use to complete the tyre bundles, not sure how many bolts are in a tyre bundle but Iím guessing they still have a couple of them to build

Iím hoping to be there in the Yellow tractor and hopefully not break it

46.55 Collie

Quote Originally Posted by Sensible View Post

Iím hoping to be there in the Yellow tractor and hopefully not break it
    Scratch that,

Driving something a little quicker than the tractor

Much excite

46.55 Collie

8. Likes Denver, S13 likes this post
    Fuck fuck fuck,

Iím out now, wife informed me that we are going away that weekend as a surprise for my birthday that was in July

Iíve never driven my Oldmans openwheeler that holds the current lap record 43.44 around Collie and it was going to be my first drive

46.55 Collie

Fuck fuck fuck,

Iím out now, wife informed me that we are going away that weekend as a surprise for my birthday that was in July

Iíve never driven my Oldmans openwheeler that holds the current lap record 43.44 around Collie and it was going to be my first drive
    LOL if you went faster no doubt the last drive :P

Quote Originally Posted by DISTRBD View Post
    I've set quicker times than him in the old OMS and the Westfield and our times in the Nismo are pretty much identical, I need to knock him off before he sells it

I actually had over a full second on him at the National championships at Phillip Island

46.55 Collie

12. Likes S85FI, DISTRBD likes this post
    Filling my entry in now , 2 weeks to get car regoed & running

14. Likes Sensible likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DISTRBD View Post
    Bit like that time you drove Willís old Evo 8 😂😂😂

46.55 Collie

Well Collie was a blast as ever. Such a busy little track. Turn 2 bump is gone so that can be attacked pretty hard now, as opposed to before where it was a bit of a lottery. Rest of the bumps are still there, as evidenced by the ABS getting the odd chirp here and there. Mostly dry day, but mostly wet track for practice, and that was amusingly slippery...

Hanging for long track next time. Maybe with some race rubber and LSD. Either way, the car loved being spanked hard on track. Easy and sweet to drive up to 9 tenths and then the last bit is where I need to learn to finesse it with just enough mongrel to keep it on the edge.

17. Likes Sensible likes this post
    Maybe with some race rubber and LSD.
    Speak to Bill and Steve about the LSD, I remember one of them saying the car wasn't as good with one fitted

46.55 Collie

Speak to Bill and Steve about the LSD, I remember one of them saying the car wasn't as good with one fitted
    fwiw ,, i thought the argument against lsd's was more about the purity with NA elise's .. you can find that point where they are almost to the loss of traction and that is their sweet spot...lsd them and they can feel a bit dumbed down .. personally having driven Exige S without and then with and more more more horsepowers.... the S without one isnt that confidence inspiring and when doing gymkhana type stuff the stiff chassis just too easliy overcomes traction when charger boosts up.. With the lsd you can confidently plant it out of corners and use the TC dial to dial in traction to the surface you are on or totally turn it off and get a bit of authority out of the turns..

450rwhp in such a small car with no lsd would be ludicrous... hell it was bad enough when it had only 320 with no lsd.... at RW I had TC turned right down and in the wind gusts deep in fifth a couple of times it cut in would not like that to feel it single up in similar conditions.. Likewise at a motorplex event around the sweeper at the end onto the braking zone of drag strip I was singling up the inside tyre when it had no lsd... totally different car now with lsd fitted in a great way.

so personally in Julians' case with a supercharged exige with decent tune power...lsd and semi's would be the go before more boost.....
    team sports can go to hell. I'm never going to rely on some weak minded MufaF@#$ to help me win a game. Ill win it myself. George Leeman.

Yeah, will defer to big D's experience here regarding the details.

But my eternal opinion is that every diff in every type of car needs to be LSD of some type. Just so happens that I had a LSD for exige arrive yesterday! Fitting it, well, who knows when...

Oh, and traction control on mine is off. Sure, its adjustable and tuneable etc. So I adjust it off! Don't want limits when I'm on a track. Still not sure I'm a fan of ABS on track as yet.

21. Likes S85FI, Bram, dmanvan likes this post

But my eternal opinion is that every diff in every type of car needs to be LSD of some type.
    That would be my opinion also and when whichever of them told me they didn't like them as they made the car push with understeer when adding grippy tyres i found it odd.

Also i'd ask myself why didn't Lotus fit them standard to all cars if they were a great thing for handling in a track car?

46.55 Collie

Mid engine cars in particular have mid corner push on light throttle with an LSD. Even without an LSD they do that a bit. Even my old RX-7 had a 50/50 weight balance and it had the same thing, though that was with a pretty tight mazda 'race ramp' clutch pack LSD.

As for Lotus and why they were not fitted to every Exige (track version of Elise) as standard, don't get me started! They get most of it right, then fail at the last 10% and leave you to sort out the mess. Ready for an example or three of Lotus factory fail? Deep breath and here we go!

Engine/Trans: Toyota 2ZZ. Untouched as supplied by Toyota and dropped into the car. After a couple of years with this screamer NA donk Lotus decided to supercharge it. Power went from 190 to 220 HP. Torque was a lot better however. Bugger all peak power, but there's reasons why... Supercharger option needed more fuel than factory fuel injectors could supply. Lotus solution? Detune engine by reducing throttle full open position and reduce from 260 down to 220 HP. Fuel pump - same issue, same solution. Later 260 (HP) cup cars has injectors and fuel pump upgraded by Lotus at least.
    Fuel tank: Fuel pickup on left hand side. Baffles installed so car can corner hard left on track sweepers without starvation. But they didn't get it right and fuel starvation happens with R comp rubber. Pop goes engine.
    Oil sump: Standard Toyota pressed steel item. Install R comp rubber, corner hard and pop goes engine from oil starvation. Lotus solution on their Exige Cup cars and 2-11 racer? Install an accusump. Yeah, they work great, I had one on last car, but really, a proper baffled sump sorts out the issue and you don't have to add extra hoese, leak points, weight and valves to fail like you do with an accusump.
    Trans: Yep, Toyota had a perfectly good torsen LSD available. But very few Lotus actually had it optioned/fitted. Instead they went electronics, not a good solution for mine (yes, I know Ferrarri and Mclaren have pretty much nailed it by now, apparently). To be fair, the 2007 onwards cars had adjustable traction control fitted. Turn the dial up or down and adjust the limit of slip. I have a similar system fitted to mine now. Nope. Not nice. Do not want. It cuts engine power, not braking the inside spinning wheel via ABS. Which I still don't like the idea of, even if McLaren love it.
    Suspension: Rear toe links are in 'single shear' for Elise and hence are weak as and don't like track work with sticky tyres and/or kerb hopping. Snap and off you go backwards... At least Exige had 'double shear' setup from factory, but even that gets replaced by better aftermarket stuff pretty quick.
    Intercooler: Always difficult for a mid engine car I admit. Lotus setup a reasonable effort of an IC above engine, but then used the tiny existing NA Exige roof scoop as the source of air for it. I can post a letter into the scoop...but otherwise it don't fit much else. So hello heat soak after a couple of laps. For example, the GT production Lotus they raced at Bathurst in 2009 was running inlet air temps of over 90 deg on a 28 deg ambient day...on all of 8.5 psi boost!

So yeah, the Exige is a 'track ready' factory car, but only if you accept quite a few compromises. Happily each of those issues can be sorted and hopefully are sorted on mine at least! Or will be once LSD is installed.

24. Likes Nugs, Bram likes this post
+ Reply to Thread