WA Performance
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: M35 STAGEA HAULER

Finished re-sleeving the whole harness tonight finally. What a mission but I think the outcome will pay off with a much neater engine bay. All I need to do is buy some larger clear heat shrink so I can branch the connectors off to where they need to go.
    I won't tee it all off though until its on the engine as I might be able to re route some it to further neaten it up.

Not Rywire or Chase bays spec but still good gives it that little extra professionalism.

Got the turbo back from getting rebuilt by MTQ as well. Shaft and cartridge journals were scored, some bent turbine fins and a small crack in the rear housing.

The rod bearings are going to be here until January now, so when I get back from Holidays it's go, go, go!
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX
    VQ25DET - Billet Intense RS Turbo - 3" Dump back - 3" Intake - ITSrom Stage 1 Flash tune - Custom FMIC

Making progress now. Bottom end is all assembled and ARP head studs are in.

2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX
    VQ25DET - Billet Intense RS Turbo - 3" Dump back - 3" Intake - ITSrom Stage 1 Flash tune - Custom FMIC

Heads on, cams in and timing cover on.

Just had to fit up covers to see if the colour combo works!

2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

4. Likes Brett Allan, Nugs likes this post
    I got the engine to a stage where I could bolt the gearbox back on and drop it on the subframe. I can easily roll it all out for the remaining work to do on it for ease of access.
    Had more delays in timing chains not being in stock locally and having to get them from Japan again and they won't be here until next weekend. Have some small bits coming from over East too which were supposed to be here by Friday but not coming until next Thursday, otherwise I would have bolted the whole lot back in the car.

2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

Got my fancy new adjustable IWG all sorted out
    According to my calibrated test rig, it doesn't open until 18-19psi now. Stock is 14psi but wastegate is no good for higher boost levels without it dropping off at higher rpm.

2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

Engine harness is all but done. A few little brackets to be made and two more connectors needed. It's 10x neater than what it was.

Injector harness is almost fully tucked.

Degreased the engine bay as I'm 95% ready to bolt the engine up to the body. Someone else has already been in here before me.
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

New timing chains in finally, new water pump and thermostat.

Should have it bolted back in tomorrow.

Grabbed a turbo oil filter so no shit gets in there to fuck it.
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

9. Likes hako, Byah! likes this post
    Got it bolted back this afternoon after doing heaps of little things around the engine that are hard to get to when it's bolted in.

Still heaps of fiddly little shit to go though
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

Slowly slowly
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

12. Likes DJ84WA, Passage GT, Byah! likes this post
    Got it going the other week. Wiring is all sweet with no codes and only a few little leaks that needed fixing. Will have it run in by tomorrow then will put it on the dyno to check everything is as it should be.

Installed a GFB G Force 3 boost controller on a little bracket I made up that fits in the vent. I can monitor AFR later on when I put another sensor in and protect the engine incase it leans out. So many cool features with this unit. 

Also had a mate dip the grill in carbon fibre. Came out really good and matches nicely with the ARX kit.

2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

14. Likes Byah! likes this post
    What kinda numbers you expecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Byah! View Post
    What kinda numbers you expecting?
    Around 220kw at all 4s on 19psi. I'm limited by the flash tune at the moment but if I can find an emanage I will easily be able to put 28psi in it with fuel system upgrade.
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

A fair bit has happened but some of it is good and some of it is not so god! Anyway, I'll bring this thread up to speed in order of progress.

Got the airbox mod 3d printed and temporarily screwed it on as it's only minimum infill for trial. Fits perfectly and the cold air inlet sits just outside the main frame rail.
    Also modified the power steering reservoir by making my own bracket as it didn't clear the bonnet when closed in the stock one.

Got it running and had a few small leaks and issues to fix, the biggest being the wrong thermostat supplied which wasn't opening enough and causing it to overheat. I fixed that by installing a GFB Ge Force 3

I drove it for a few kays and noticed there was engine oil coming out from the bell housing and whilst under there, I also noticed oil coming from the turbo between the cartridge and turbine housing. Pulled the box out haphazardly as I didn't have a hoist and pulled the turbo back off too. I cut the rear main seal by accident when installing it on the stand without being able to see the back of the crank. Turbo went back to MTQ for warranty and they reckon nothing was wrong but replaced the oil seals.
    Fitted new rear main as i pinched it when putting it in, which was an absolute f**k to get in there and took the turbo back to MTQ for warranty. Once I got that back I fitted it all back up and started it up...
    Went to go for a drive, look under the car for leaks after putting it all back in andddddddd oil is pissing out of the turbo feed banjo. FML. Pulled it all back off again and found MTQ had reused the ali washer which was all fucked up and not flat.
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

A few weeks after all of this i took it to the drags to see what it could reel off. Being a fresh motor I thought it would do pretty good and all but only managed a 14.3 as it wasn't building boost off the line. Went and did my second run, got to the braking zone and misfires were followed by white smoke . . . it went bang!
    Did some quick diagnosing at the track, number 6 was dead and then just sent it and drove it home not giving a fuck. This is what I found when I dropped the sump.

Round 2 ensued not long after

Did some research and found that number 5 and 6 are prone to failure as they get too hot being the last point of coolant flow causing detonantion, coupled with a flash tune that may have being on the limit of AFRs and the boost controller overboost function needed to be set at 10% lower than max boost to actually work.

2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

Took it to work and hot washed the majority of parts. Honed all the bores and deburred number 6 as that had piston melted to the wall. They all came out good but there is slight imperfection on 6 so I will be taking to to my machinist to get it sorted out. Luckily no metal went through the oiling system so all bearings and journals are good to go.
    Turbo oil feed filter also did it's job too and caught some shit in it.

I dodged a bullet here I reckon.

I got the motor pretty much buttoned a few weeks ago after fitting a new piston to number 6 and another set of rings. Got screwed around with rods bolts not being available for two suppliers and ended up paying 3x as much to get them from over east.

Emanage Ultimate was purchased and I just finished sorting out it's harness tonight. Deutsch plugged it so it can be removed easily if needed and labelled all the wires relevant to run. Still need to do the engine harness to match now. A guy over east has a tuning file for this so i'm mimicking the setup so it's easier for C-Red to tune. His car did 326awkw on E85 so I should be able to get 300awkw from BP98.

Got an Innovate LC2 wideband, silicone coolant hoses, new catch can to modify and a fuel pump. Need to buy injectors, new coil packs, plugs, Greddy MAP sensor and looking at possibly getting a stall as well.

Whipped up a bracket and rod for the new Kinugawa dual port gate

2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

It's cause you rebuilt the engine in the garage and not inside the house like your JZ haha

Quote Originally Posted by uzx83 View Post
    It's cause you rebuilt the engine in the garage and not inside the house like your JZ haha
    Yeah wasn't climate controlled in the garage haha
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

I seem to take one step forward and two steps back. Bought a 3k stall to help move the barge along. I didn't want to have to pull the box again to fit it so installed it before refitting the motor.

Pulled out the nav unit to make way for the EMU. Made up a bracket/fascia to house it and have two provisions for the option harnesses. I still need to wire in the LC2 and mount the unit but that can be done after run in.

Fitted a Raceworks 340lph fuel pump and wired it with direct 12v feed. You can't even hear the thing

And then the car was blowing white smoke straight after getting it goin, so off came the turbo for the third time and back for warranty.

Got the turbo back and they said they found nothing. They said it was either too much oil supply or not draining enough.I asked what pressure they test them to and they said their machine does 60psi max. When I said these engine do up to 120psi and I had drilled the restrictor out, he said that will will most definitely make it leak as its way too much for even the wider seal they put in there to handle it.

Burred out my drain as big as I could and under their advice, bought a Turbosmart Oil Pressure Regulator (OPR) These are made to only allow 40spi into the core but at maximum flow.Only place it could go is in the cam cover as it needs a drain. Drilled a hole just below the filler and inserted a tight fitting grommet. Ran new lines and it seems to be all sweet for now.

2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

23. Likes DAN [GTI] likes this post
    A lot of work, can I ask why you didn't consider going big block instead of modding the 25?
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Wasn't in the budget really. I picked up the other motor for $350 which was easier to source than a VQ30.

These make very good numbers too unopened. With my current setup it should be good for 326awkw as I have copied a build structure from a guy over east. He switched to a Link ECU and E85 and made 411awkw unopened.
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

Fair enough!

Would have been a monster with a 3/3.5!
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Fair enough!

Would have been a monster with a 3/3.5!
    Yeah there an R32 with a twin turbo VQ35 that went like 900awhp on 20psi
    2003 NISSAN STAGEA ARX

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2