TKO Tinting
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Baby BMW

Took this out to a tuning session at Barbagallos yesterday.
    Was hoping to crack a 65 but didn't quite get there with all the traffic.
    Brakes aren't as confidence inspiring as I would like, but the car ran flawlessly until I ran out of fuel.

Still set a new PB of 66.23.
    New tune made most of the difference as I was hitting up to 225kmh on the back straight (my previous fastest lap had a top speed of 212kmh).

Threw the car on the scales while I was there.
    Not exactly a lightweight at 1542kgs

And a video

2. Likes DAN [GTI], dmanvan, mr_rotary, Lump, S13 likes this post
    Went to another tuning session and got my 65, just.

Car is happy to do as many laps as I want, except the brakes which aren't up to what I'm asking of them.
    There is definitely some more time in it if I had more confidence in the brakes.
    But thinking I may draw the line here and get the track car finished instead.

4. Likes S13, mr_rotary, MMM, DAN [GTI] likes this post
    And just because, this is what 200ish laps of Barbagallos over two years will do to shiny blue brakes.

6. Likes thommo likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nugs View Post
    And just because, this is what 200ish laps of Barbagallos over two years will do to shiny blue brakes.

do you think the F82 M4 brake calipers will get the same colour effect? i bought a set for the next car haha. mind you, dont think im hard on brakes like you!

and congrats on the 65!!

They are literally the same calipers just spaced further out for 370 or 380mm rotors.
    So the same will happen if you abuse them.
    Just don't use full track pads and do 10 hot laps in a row and they should be fine

Yeah it's peppy, advertised as 250kw and 500nm but think that might be on a bad day.
    It's enough for the chassis anyway, and after my previous frustrating experience getting more power out of a turbo BMW I am going to leave the drive train alone.
    Well this was never going to be the case.

This is a Pure Stage 2 turbo, which is a high flowed stock housing turbo upgrade.

Thought the clutch might need an upgrade at the same time as I had felt it slip a couple of times.

Turns out it was more than a couple of times.
    So a new flywheel is needed as well. BMW dual mass flywheels shouldnt be machined (and are expensive )

The stock turbo can bring in the boost hard down low, so I was suprised how well the stock clutch stood up.
    But trying to drop second and get on the brake may have been the final straw.

Hoping with the bigger turbo and a custom tune to ramp in the boost more progressively the replacement may survive longer.

10. Likes MMM, mr_rotary, Damo 69, HANS YOLO likes this post

you do like pushing the stock stuff. Happy your non sensible side has arisen yet again

12. Likes Nugs, Damo 69 likes this post
    Surely there's better clutch/flywheel combos out there, Luke?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Fuck cars, I'm taking up scrapbooking.

It is getting a stronger clutch, but it's not extreme and is designed for use with the stock flywheel.
    I didn't think want to go with a single mass flywheel (noisy) and overly aggresive clutch as I drive it in traffic every day.

Tune for new turbo is still a work in progress (it is being done remotely by someone in Florida).

In the meantime these arrived.
    After reading Laine's thread it sounds like I may be waiting a while for the rest of the kit.

16. Likes MMM, Rajvosa, Daveo, S13, mr_rotary, summoner, Damo 69 likes this post
    So I got most of the rest of my brake order and got the front brakes on the night before a M club track day

Looking at the data the time I made in the brakes was completely lost down the back straight and ended up with a best of 66.1 for the day.
    Bigger turbo on an unfinished 98 tune is slower than stock turbo on an e30 tune.
    Looks like I need a bigger HPFP and some e85 in my future.

ps. do not use Brakes Direct. They will lie and string you along for months as a few other antilaggers have also found out.

18. Likes mr_rotary, S13 likes this post
    And a few pics

20. Likes S13, Rajvosa, TJ likes this post
    ps. do not use Brakes Direct. They will lie and string you along for months as a few other antilaggers have also found out.
    They went into liquidation as of the 14th of June... a lot of people have been caught out sadly.

https://insolvencynotices.asic.gov.a...e-dc98aa34a9e3
    Fuck cars, I'm taking up scrapbooking.

They are definitely still trading, just badly.
    I brought that notice up(unfortunately well after I ordered) and was told that was just about the GSL rallysport brand which is now gone. Not sure if I was being lied to again.

I'm pretty happy the old RAC track has reopened.
    Managed to get out there for a play yesterday with a group of other M-lite owners.

I also have a bigger high pressure fuel pump on the way.
    I've been told it's good for 550+whp on e85. I guess we'll find out.

24. Likes XT43, dmanvan, Damo 69 likes this post
    Good to see it open again.
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Nice

When you sell this car is it going to be 'just used to run to the shops and back'

Wish I could run this track again its fun, I never got those last few tight corners right though

"sedately driven to daycare and work only" haha.

Yeah I can't see the R32 sidepipe getting under 94db.
    It is good fun, great place to practice trailbraking and throwing the car around at lower speeds.

under 94db
    Ktec had a 911 Cup Car and a couple of historic touring cars there the other day so I think it is a bit of more who you are than what you drive when it comes to noise limits
    Nismo Sauras Jr 290hp and 450kg

61.3 Long track Wanneroo,
    52.4 Short track Wanneroo
    46.55 Collie

Patiently waiting for the home reno’s to be finished before more aero mods to break those times above

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3