Maytech
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying from a Dealer over the phone and by e-mail

Buying from a Dealer over the phone and by e-mail

Random quick query, found a bike I like. It's being sold through a Yamaha/KTM dealer in the dirty south. By buying through a dealer do I need to conduct any sort of PPSR checks to protect myself or are dealers not allowed to sell repairable write-offs/stolen goods, i.e. the responsibility lies with them?

I swear I remember reading about someone on these forums that bought a car from a dealer that turned out previously written off car and it was a nightmare. I am a pretty risk adverse person lol

Having a bad swing and need some retail therapy haha

Plenty of dealers do not disclose the fact it's on the WOVR.

For the sake of $3, just do one yourself.

3. Likes S85FI, S_E, crabman likes this post
    I looked at a car at a dealer a little while ago, noticed it had been in an accident, (dodgy paint edges from masking, new rear beam axle with the stickers still on it etc), mentioned it to the sales guy, he goes 'oh, we wouldn't want to sell damaged cars, I'll do a ppsr' come back after a while 'oh it hasn't been in a crash..' err you just mean it hasn't been written off, you peanut. So there's no guarantees of no crashes, but then it doesn't take much to write off a bike does it?

Email sent to obtain VIN, wasn't sure if there is actually some sort of consumer law where they are required to disclose that info.

I bought mine from Cully's basically over the phone. Requested the VIN and ran a PPSR myself, though they charge you for one in the paperwork anyway for some reason.
    Structural Engineer

'00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 XA Fairmont Sedan // '13 YZF-R1

They provided the PPSR check they did when they traded it in, VIN checked through Kawasaki and still under warranty until end of next year. Deposit paid, giggidy. 2016 KLR650 Camo edition with a bit of fruit.

8. Likes shifted likes this post
+ Reply to Thread