Maytech
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Financial Shit Talk Thread

Extension from above:

Below is RIO's share registery, call the investor line. You'll get a computer voice etc. As you've said you have no info so just keep hitting # or Zero and when applicable ask to speak to an operator eventually the computer will trip out and put you through to an operator. As to search via Name... give the name and they will ask for the address to which the shares would be registered in. If your a little off some numpty with a manager next to them will prob give you nothing, if you get someone with half a clue they will prob tell you there is something there or not but wont be able to give details unless you have the correct name and address. If there is a holding etc they wont be able to give you a reference number for the holding all they will be able to do is send a holding statement to the registered address and work from there.

Hope that helps a bit

Name Computershare Investor Services Pty Ltd
    Registry Address 452 Johnston St, Abbotsford, VIC, 3067
    Registry Postal Address GPO Box 2975, Melbourne,VIC,3000
    Registry Telephone +61 9415 4030
    Registry Facsimile +61 9473 2500
    Registry TollFree 1800 813 292
    Investor Enquiries +61 09 9415 4000
    Broker Number n/a
    Web Site www.computershare.com.au

2. Likes Lump likes this post
    Helps a shit load, thanks very much guys.

tracked the RIO stuff down & also these Bougainville Copper ones, but I dont understand what the holding details mean on the paperwork.

it says-
    Securities held: 2000 1 KINA fully paid shares
    Value per security: $0.32
    Register held on: Victoria

how do I work out their value when it describes the shares as '1 KINA' - the currency of PNG?

or do I just work out the value as 2000 x $0.32 ?
    thanks

1 Kina must be the "par value" of the shares. Meaningless if they are fully paid anyway. You're pretty safe to assume its 2,000 x $0.32 = $640.00

6. Likes S85FI, Lump likes this post
    thanks mate, I appreciate it.

8. Likes [Jacek] likes this post
    General question for people out there about the super saver thing for first home buyers. Is there any reason not to do this?

I've got a few thousand in the bank doing very little, some in the share market doing alright and earn a decent living. If I've got surplus cash sitting in savings and intend to buy a house in a next few years is there any reason not to skip a bit of tax for the next 3 years and drop $10k a year into super? It would be tricky to get out in an emergency wouldn't it?
    I have a similar amount sitting in HECS, but I see no reason to pay this off in any great rush at the current interest rate. It will be paid off in a few years anyway based on my income.

Basically just want to position myself best to buy a house, without taking on too much sharemarket risk to rush it.

Me. Pay debt first. Fuck paying interest or have it sitting there. 5 years later you will say the same thing.

Bricks n mortor all the way.

11. Likes heavyduty1340 likes this post
    I wrote a big spiel about this for an article but cant find it now

** general information below

I wouldn't do it before it it actually becomes law, there is no governance yet around if you put it in now and if it doesn't go through how you get it out of super - you'd say common sense would prevail but you know govt's and common sense don't always match up

Tax savings and their worth are up to you really. Theoretically the numbers put you in front by a little bit. You will only be able to pull it out 'for emergency' at the highest marginal tax rate ie: end up losing all tax benefits and paying more. You have a defined period in which you have to buy a house and once you pull it out if not bought a house with 12 months you either have to put it back in getting charged contributions tax or pay top marginal tax rate on it, once again losing all benefits + some.... also this will count towards your contributions for the financial years which may or may not effect you dependent on your situation and amounts put in.

Also be aware of the changes in risk of where the money is going. If its sitting in cash now and you put it into super and you don't have it sitting in cash there you have increased your risk profile, which may be alright with you, just be aware or it and manageit accordingly.

As above ... consider your opportunity cost of where your money is. In cash now its prob getting 1% , you prob paying 4% on HECS ? getting 15% benefits of the super saving housing scheme so theoretically at best you looking approx. 11% benefits on $10K a year but then you look at your money being essentially inaccessible except for one thing.

Just some things to consider. Ive prob missed stuff but that's the basics to look at

TLDR; only put it in once it becomes law and only if you 150% are going to buy a house with it in the timeframe to be slightly better off numbers wise not taking into account other things like real life and not having access to funds if you need them

13. Likes heavyduty1340, masTers likes this post
    I agree, the way the government loves changing super rules I would be very nervous to do it.

Anyone know stuff about super? Fees on my One path account are pretty high and about to move into an extended period of low to no income so was looking to switch funds to something with better performance and lower fees.

Always compare super funds on % gain/year including fees, high fees are fine as long as it's doing well!

Have a look at https://www.superratings.com.au/

17. Likes Byah! likes this post
    I would suggest reading barefoot investor, its a basic book, simple ideas. I pretty much already did everything in that book, but the Super was something new to me, always just used a work based one. He recommends the hostplus Indexed Balanced Fund (not their other fund), low (est) fees and solid returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Byah! View Post
    Anyone know stuff about super? Fees on my One path account are pretty high and about to move into an extended period of low to no income so was looking to switch funds to something with better performance and lower fees.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChad View Post
    General question for people out there about the super saver thing for first home buyers. Is there any reason not to do this?

I've got a few thousand in the bank doing very little, some in the share market doing alright and earn a decent living. If I've got surplus cash sitting in savings and intend to buy a house in a next few years is there any reason not to skip a bit of tax for the next 3 years and drop $10k a year into super? It would be tricky to get out in an emergency wouldn't it?
    I have a similar amount sitting in HECS, but I see no reason to pay this off in any great rush at the current interest rate. It will be paid off in a few years anyway based on my income.

Basically just want to position myself best to buy a house, without taking on too much sharemarket risk to rush it.
    Cash is King, and I'm wary of super, the Gov't is unpredictable and its a good way to lock up funds.
    The higher interest rate, on a relatively small amount of cash isn't worth the risk or complexity.
    I'd stay well clear. In fact, I don't put any extra away for super, rather run a savings/investment account in parallel instead. A "Superish" account.

I'm too afraid that by the time I get to retirement, the super access age will be 10 years later, and it will be a forced annuity, rather than free access to it because most poeple are numbskulls.
    Besides, if I get terminally sick, I want the freedom to do what I want with my hard earned.

1.5% Index on Hecs, let it run its own course. It's something practically invisible in the background.

20. Likes heavyduty1340 likes this post
    Investing in property is one of the most reliable kinds of investment, because real estate market is less affected by economic fluctuations. Rental property is a good scenario to make money out of thin air if you have the necessary sum to enter the deal. Currently Greece is trending as an investor's paradise, because they are recovering from the crisis and prices are still unbelievably low https://tranio.com/greece/analytics/...o-greece_5441/. To boot it is an ideal touristic destination that's buzzing all the year round, I was really impressed with the country and can't wait to come back there again, it's a lovely place and I'm giving a serious thought to that plan of mine

So the broker I was using (Halifax) has gone into administration, looks like they were doing a bit of dodgy shit behind the scenes
    https://www.ferrierhodgson.com/au/-/...march-2019.pdf

Now personally I had a tiny sum of money in my share trading account, I'm not fussed about losing that. But I have some shares that they were the broker for. Now that the Halifax website is down I'm not sure how to get the information for my holdings to do a CHESS transfer to my new broker. Who should I contact? Is there a way I can get this information that isn't through the broker? I've emailed the administrators.

I set this up a while ago and bought some long prospects, I don't even have my trader account numbers etc, only user details.

For a broker to broker transfer you should be able to get all necessary information off an old holding statement (if you had them mailed to you)
    if not go through share registry to get details

You will need to fill out a broker to broker transfer form which essential just transfers your HIN (Holder Identification Number)

To do this you must have the way the current holdings are registered, your HIN (the 'X" and 10 odd digits number) the PID (participant identification number of Halifx). The registration of your new account must match exactly those of the stock being transferred.

So... have a look for a holding statement via mail you would have received, if not contact the appropriate share registry of at least one of the holdings and try and get details that way

It's a bit of a concern that I've now called two different registries, given my full name and the shares I apparently own, and they can't find any record of my name or variation of my names.

Found the issue, when they switched across to being all on the trading platform they used they didn't actually use my details, they just left all account information blank and used their own email address. Now I'm concerned because the wrong email is on my account, but hopefully the tax forms all get approved
    Last edited by TheChad; 05-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.

You won't be able to transfer any stocks until the administrators are finished.

It's looking like all positions will be sold off and you will be receiving your account balance minus the 9%.
    I think in the last correspondence they are saying it might take the rest of the year to sort out.

26. Dislikes TheChad dislikes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    You won't be able to transfer any stocks until the administrators are finished.

It's looking like all positions will be sold off and you will be receiving your account balance minus the 9%.
    I think in the last correspondence they are saying it might take the rest of the year to sort out.
    That's an absolute joke. I thought me owning the shares meant I own the shares, regardless of which broker I used.

I was only trading white paper, so I funded and then purchased the shares directly, no leveraging or anything like that. I did also get an email a while ago saying they were moving everything over to IB because they weren't doing the white paper themselves anymore. I'm hoping somehow that means I'm somehow safe from this disgrace.

Coming back for another swipe, I don't fully understand what is happening, but I was under the impression I owned the shares outright, I paid brokerage fees at the time of ordering and have a portfolio. How can they forcefully close the position and use the money they get back to pay of their illegal actions? Is that even legal?

I have no idea what is happening/what is going to happen.

The deficiency in funds is 19.7million which is around 9% of investor funds.
    So it looks like people are going to lose 9% of their account value.
    How they take the money, I have no idea.

But you won't be able to transfer stocks until this is over.
    If you want me to send you the last report DM your email address.

All good, I've been following the reports and trying to make sense of it. Naturally it's a fair bit to go through.

I interpreted the funds etc to be talking about liquid funds in peoples accounts and the managed funds that people invested in. I'm hopeful owned items such as shares won't be able to be touched by them. they can have all of the money in the trading account, it's small enough to lose. It's the share ownership I'm hopeful I'll still come out with.

I hope that is the case as well.
    Hopefully, they can sort this out faster than the 6-12months stated in the last report.

I don't see why one couldn't transfer their shares across with a CHESS transfer?
    Provided that one hadn't been royally fucked over like me where they messed up my account information and the shares don't appear to have my name on them...

In regards to your enquiry below, unfortunately changing an email on Halifax TWS Non-Disclosed account is not possible
    If your account was disclosed account (an account opened directly with Interactive broker), then you will see your personal details attached to your account.
    Since your account is Halifax TWS account, which is a non-disclosed account under Halifax, it doesn’t save any of your personal details except the account name and login ID. This is how non-disclosed account are setup.
    We cannot change the email on the platform, however if you wish to update email address please let me know and I will update at our end, so all communication form Farrier Hodgson and Halifax comes to your new email.

Let me know if you require assistance in this matter.

Thank you
    Pradika
    Hindsight is amazing, but there's no way I would have been able to dig down this far to find out this kind of information at the start. The whole company is rotten, it all comes out now. Looks like I've lost 9% as you say above, plus the money I'm losing every day by not being able to get out of a slowly declining position. pingpingpingpings.
    Next time I'll just use commsec or something a bit safer. These guys looked so legit front on.
    Last edited by TheChad; 30-04-2019 at 03:50 PM.

34. Likes mr_rotary, MMM likes this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast